You’ve got to make these crunchy, sweet, salted, mouth-warming treats. They fill your kitchen with an intoxicating aroma, and they’ll possess your friends. Really. Possess.
I’ve been giving them out as holiday treats, and people have come up to me and literally grabbed my arm and said: What did you put in those? I can’t stop eating them! There have been so many demands for the recipe that I knew I had to publish it here.
So: You’ve GOT to make them.
They’re super easy, too. Prep time is about 10 minutes, and in another half-hour, they’re out of the oven.
The heat in this recipe is pretty subtle; It creates a mysterious, “Hmm, what is that in there?” experience. Those of you who’d like a little more kick can be a bit more generous with the smoked paprika and chipotle powder.
This recipe is SO easy that I don’t even need to walk you through step-by-step instructions with photos (the step-by-step is in the recipe, below). You mix the sugar and spices together, beat the egg whites briefly, toss ‘em with the pecans, then mix in the spices.
See? Was I kidding you? They’re so quick and easy you can’t NOT make ‘em. Ya gotta make ‘em. You’ll love the experience of stumbling around the kitchen, drunk on the smell while they’re baking. And you’ll love how they taste.
As the old TV ad used to say, “I dare you to eat just one!”
- 2 lbs. pecan halves
- 2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugars, spices and salt, stirring with a fork to remove lumps.
- Pour the pecans into a large bowl. Add the beaten egg whites and stir to coat.
- Add the sugar-spice mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Spread the coated pecans in a single layer on two lightly buttered baking sheets.
- Bake about 30 minutes, stirring once at the 15-minute mark.
- Let cool on baking sheets. Use spatula to scrape cooled, candied pecans off the baking sheets.